News and information from our partners


Obituaries for 11/19

James "Jim" Alfred Elkins

March 13, 1933 - Nov. 12, 2003

Jim Alfred Elkins of Dallas died Nov. 12 in Salem. He was 70.

He was born to Lester and Ruth Elkins in Concrete, Wash.

He lived most of his life in the Washington area and moved with his wife, Lillian, to Dallas in 1998.

The majority of his life was spent sawing cedar shakes in both Washington and Oregon.

He loved to play darts, read Louis Lamour books, work outdoors, watch pro sports and listen to and sing country music. He also loved to watch wrestling with his grandsons and spend any time he could doing "Grandpa things."

He was preceded in death by a brother, Lester Elkins.

Survivors include his wife, Lillian of Dallas; children, Kenneth Elkins, Michael Elkins, Colleen Ervine and Rena Ball, all of Washington, Tammie and Murl Hall and Jesse Elkins, all of Oregon; stepchildren, Vicki Berger, Dan Berger, Betsy Berger, Tess and Carter Lahrmann and Tim Berger, all of Washington and Raymond and Paqui Berger of California; brothers, John Elkins and Kenneth Elkins, both of Washington; sisters, Rosemary Radonsky of Washington and Beverley Knobbs of California; and numerous grandchildren.

Services were Nov. 18 at Hawthorne Funeral Home in Mount Vernon, Wash., and interment was in Hawthorne Memorial Park.

Theodore "Ted" Dallas DeWeese

Dec. 21, 1935 - Nov. 7, 2003


Theodore "Ted" Dallas DeWeese of Dallas died on Nov. 7 due to brain cancer. He was 67.

He was born to Dallas Franklin DeWeese and Anna Weiland in Lima, Ohio.

He graduated from Western Hills High School in Cincinnati in 1953. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. He was a combat camera photographer with the Far East Unit of a special combat camera group. He was assigned to the USS Hancock, an aircraft carrier.

After his military duty he worked for a film distributor while attending college at North Texas State University in Denton. He also worked as a clerk in the City of Dallas, Texas court system while completing his masters degree in U.S. History. He was a teacher for a short time before working for the State of Texas where he began learning about computers.

He moved to Oregon in the early 1970s. He worked as a Claims Representative for Industrial Indemnity Insurance and Mission Insurance Group and later as a Claims Analyst for the City of Portland Risk Management Department.

He met his wife, Jan Binkley Greene at Industrial Indemnity. They were married April 2, 1976.

In 1983 they opened DeWeese & DeWeese Claims Services in Portland and they operated the business until the 1990s.

When he retired he edited and published the National DeWeese Family Genealogy Newsletter from 1992 to 2002.

He loved the northwest, working and playing with computers, teaching others about computers, listening to music, taking photos of his family and the outdoors, trips to the coast and watching baseball games. He learned to sail in the 1980s and enjoyed trips to the San Juan Islands in Washington.

He was preceded in death by a brother, Robert DeWeese.

Survivors include his wife, Jan; stepchildren, Richard Greene of Vernonia, Amy Greene of Tampa, Fla., David Greene of Seattle, Jill Greene of Portland, Nancy Humphrey of Tigard and Pamela DeWeese of Portland; sister, Anne Veitch of San Antonio, Texas; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Private services were held at Willamette National Cemetery in Portland on Nov. 12.

Farnstrom Mortuary of Independence handled the arrangements.

Evangeline A. Jones

Dec. 23, 1909 - Nov. 13, 2003

Evangeline A. Jones of Dallas died on Nov. 13 in Dallas. She was 93.

She was born to Carl and Aurora Strandberg Swanson in Petersburg, Alaska.

She married Hugh J. Jones on Dec. 29, 1930.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Hugh, a daughter, three brothers and a sister.

Survivors include her son, Bruce Jones of Dallas; sister, Inez VanBuren of Lynden, Wash.; five grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.

At her request no services were held.

Farnstrom Mortuary in Independence handled the arrangements.

Antonio Manzo

June 3, 1985 - Nov. 13, 2003

Antonio Manzo of Independence died on Nov. 13. He was 18.

He was born to Antonio Manzo and Maria Rosario Manzo in Mexico.

He grew up in Independence and attended Central High School for four years.

He enjoyed playing chess. He was a member of the Central High School Chess Club and placed third during the 2001 OMSI Chess for Success State Tournament. He played soccer every Sunday for a local team "Tamazula" and his position was forward striker. He enjoyed being in the company of his friends.

Survivors include his father, Antonio Manzo of Independence; mother, Maria Rosario Manzo of Independence; brothers, Fernando Manzo and Erik Manzo, both of Independence; and grandmothers, Gertrudis Crisostome and Aurora Ceja, both of Mexico.

Funeral mass was Nov. 18 at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Independence and interment was at Hilltop Cemetery.

Farnstrom Mortuary in Independence handled the arrangements.

Robert "Bob" Lawrence Storm

Sept. 20, 1929 - Nov. 13, 2003

Robert "Bob" Lawrence Storm of Canby died on Nov. 13 in Canby. He was 74.

He was born in Anaheim, Calif. His family moved to Salem in the early 1940s.

He was a log truck driver for Paulsen Transfer during the 1950s in Independence. He worked for Cutler Manufacturing Co., in Salem from 1959 to 1978. He drove semi-trucks until retiring from long haul with Gordon Trucking in 1995.

He and his wife, Shirley, managed a manufactured home community in Canby for the last eight years.

He was a member of St. Patrick Catholic Church in Canby.

He enjoyed tinkering in his shop, woodworking, computers and spending time with his friends and family.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Shirley; sons, Gary of Salem, Mark of The Dalles and Bruce of Portland; daughters, Gail Wilson of Amity and Karen Roush of Salem; stepsons, Raymond Haener of Renton, Wash., and Joe Haener of Seattle; stepdaughter, Dianne Morris of The Dalles; brother, John D. Storm of Salem; 14 grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.

A celebration of life service was held Nov. 17 at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Independence.

Contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Farnstrom Mortuary in Independence handled the arrangements.

Alex "Ole Alex" William Agalzoff

May 1, 1916 - Nov. 11, 2003

Alex "Ole Alex" William Agalzoff of Salem died on Nov. 11. He was 92.

He was born in Earlimart, Calif.

At the age of 19 he enrolled in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), June 28, 1935 to April 10, 1936 at Vancouver Barracks, Wash. He then moved to Los Angeles where he married Sarah A. Valov on July 4, 1941. They were married for 54 years.

He worked for Douglas Aircraft as an aircraft inspector and lived in South Gate, Calif., until 1948.

He moved his family to a 40-acre farm in south Salem. He became part of the Willamette Cherry Growers Co-op, now known as Oregon Cherry Growers. He also worked as a millwright in Aumsville until the mill shut down. He continued to work at Aumsville until the mill shut down.

After 55 years the farm is still family owned.

He was an active member of Carpenter Local Union No. 1065.

He loved writing poetry and was a member of the Poets Society of Washington, D.C. and had several books published. He also enjoyed traveling and visited Russia, Alaska, Chile, Egypt, Israel, Hawaii and the Panama Canal. He was also known for his precise carpentry work.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Sarah in 1995, daughter, Mary Ann in 1974 and son, Peter in 2003.

Survivors include his son, James Agalzoff of Montebello, Calif.; daughter, Barbara Weldin of Salem; sisters, Frances Wallace of Salem and Sally Parker of Silverton; companion care provider, Katsya Efseaff of Salem; four grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Services were Nov. 17 at Farnstrom Mortuary in Independence and vault interment was at Buena Vista Cemetery.

Erma Elsie Denney

Feb. 6, 1911 - Nov. 16, 2003

Erma Elsie Denney died Nov. 16. She was 92.

Services will be at 2 p.m., Thursday Nov. 20 at Bollman Funeral Home in Dallas. Visitation will be 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 19 and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thursday Nov. 20 at Bollman Funeral Home in Dallas.

Johnathon Mark Androes

May 3, 1981 - Nov. 14, 2003


Johnathon Mark Androes of Federal Way, Wash., formerly of Monmouth/Falls City, died Nov. 14 in Olympia, Wash. He was 22.

He was born in Dallas to Dan and Cheryl Fischer Androes.

He married Tyana Herbrandson on April 28, 2002 in Walla Walla, Wash.

He had graduated from Columbia Adventist Academy in Battleground, Wash. They had just moved to Federal Way.

He had worked for several years as a CNA in Washington and was an EMT 1 Basic. He was very compassionate with the elderly people that he cared for.

He had graduated from Walla Walla Community College in August of this year with his LPN certification. He was scheduled to take his Washington State Boards for his LPN.

He enjoyed softball, basketball, camping, hiking and snowboarding. He loved working with kids. He had worked in New York at Camp Kiwago for homeless kids for two different summers. He had also helped the other EMT's at the summer camp.

Survivors include his wife, Tyana of Federal Way; parents, Dan and Cheryl Androes of Monmouth; brother, Daniel of Monmouth; adopted brother, Tobias Schulson of Eugene; grandmother; Jewell Dean Stokes of Auburn, Wash.; uncles, Junior Fischer and Ken Androes; and aunts, Matilda Dayton, Cornelia Grange and Carol Huff.

Services will be at 4 p.m., Wednesday Nov. 19 at the Dallas Seventh Day Adventist Church. Visitation will be 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday Nov. 19 at Bollman Funeral Home in Dallas which handled the arrangements.

Private interment will be in Dallas Cemetery.

Jose Sanchez

April 15, 1916 - Nov. 16, 2003

Jose Sanchez of Dallas died Nov. 16 in Salem. He was 87.

He was born to Jose and Tomasita Trujillo Sanchez in Chiz, N.M. He was raised by his Aunt Rita Trujillo.

He worked in the Kennecot Copper Mine in New Mexico from 1951 until 1961.

He married Irene Yost on Oct. 15, 1963 in Los Angeles.

He worked for Goodyear Tire & Rubber in Los Angeles as an oiler. He worked there for 27 years and retired in 1989 and settled in Dallas.

He was a member of Valley Life Center in Dallas. He had been an usher at the church.

He enjoyed reading his Bible every day. He was a great people person. He also enjoyed having coffee with his friends at McMullin Chevrolet.

He was preceded in death by his daughter, Yolanda Sanchez in 1964; two sisters, Dolores Ordonez and Eunice Apodaca; and one brother, Adan Sanchez.

Survivors include his wife, Irene of Dallas; daughter, Elisa Sanchez of Las Cruces, N.M.; sisters, Dora Apodaca and Priscilla Sanchez, both of Truth or Consequences, N.M.

Services will be at 11 a.m., Thursday Nov. 20 at Valley Life Center in Dallas. Visitation will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 19 in Dallas Mortuary Chapel which handled the arrangements. Interment will be in Dallas Cemetery.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Itemizer-Observer and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)