At the close of the 2006 Independence Hop & Heritage Festival, we were pleased to note that there was a substantial surplus in the committee's bank account. Since its inception, the intention of the Independence Hop & Heritage Festival Committee has been to return any excess funds to the community, with an emphasis on activities, projects and organizations that benefit our community's youth.
This year our distribution of excess funds was allocated by committee decision as follows:
* CHAMPS program, $500. "CHAMPS" creates avenues for disadvantaged youth
to participate in school and community organized sports. This worthy program has touched many lives and made positive and lasting changes.
* Independence Amphitheater Water Feature Fund, $500. This will be the crowning touch to the amphitheater project, and will certainly attract community youth.
* Independence Elementary School Read-a-thon, $400. The all-volunteer run Read-a-thon involves the entire student body at IES. It is in its 18th year.
* Heritage Museum, $150. The Heritage Museum has participated in every Ghost Walk, brings mobile displays to schools and libraries, and hosts many events that appeal to young historians.
* Hispanic Youth Dance Group organized by Elena Pena, $100. A special request was made of this group that they perform at the Independence Hop & Heritage Festival next year.
* Central High School Band, $50. The band performed at the Hometown Barbecue this year, continuing a tradition of festival performances.
* VIP Strings, $50. VIP Strings performed at the Veterans' Reception this year, and has performed in several past festivals.
* Team Time, $50. Meg Greiner and a big group of kids from Independence Elementary School opened the festival this year. Meg has opened the festival since its beginning in 2001.
We want to thank everyone who contributed time, effort, and enthusiasm to the 2006 Independence Hop & Heritage Festival. It was a very successful event, and a positive experience for our community.
With the involvement of groups like these, and more, in the Independence Hop & Heritage Festival, we look forward to a great event next year.
Festival dates for 2007 are September 28-30.
Marilyn Morton, for
The Independence Hop & Heritage