MONMOUTH/INDEPENDENCE -- Jerry and Joy Hoffman of Independence have been named as community First Citizens by the Monmouth-Independence Chamber of Commerce.
Mike Ainsworth of Monmouth, who serves as the announcer for Central High School football and basketball games, has received the chamber's Distinguished Service award.
The three will be honored, along with other citizens, local business owners and students, at the annual Community Awards Banquet on March 22 at the Werner Center on the Western Oregon University Campus.
A limited number of seats are still available. Call Amberly VanWinkle at 503-838-4268 for more information.
Jerry Hoffman is currently a member of the Independence City Council, was on the Planning Commision for several years, and was a founding member of the Hop and Heritage Festival's steering committee.
Joy Hoffman, Jerry's wife, works for Central Baptist Church and involved in the Independence Elementary School Read-a-thon and the popular Moms-4-Reading program.
Besides his announcing duties for Central High sports, Ainsworth has been master of ceremonies for The Gate Youth Center Kick-Off fundraiser, Central's FFA and Panther Club auctions.
Also to be recognized at the Community Awards Banquet are:
* Large Business of the Year -- Partnerships in Community Living, Inc.
* Small Business of the Year -- Rose & Ram Knit Shop & Studio.
* New Business of the Year J. Bella's Ristaraunte.
Central Education Association annual awards:
* Elementary Teacher of the Year -- Kay Graven, Title I teacher and reading facilitator at Henry Hill Elementary School.
* Secondary Teacher of the Year -- Dale Cutsforth, physical education teacher and athletic director at Talmadge Middle School.
Students of the Year:
* Mandi Desmarteau, grade 4 at Independence Elementary School.
* Arllenye Trvjille, grade 4 at Henry Hill Elementary School.
* Aliyah Formen, grade 4 at Monmouth Elementary School.
* Sean Blair, grade 8 and Ashley Webb, grade 4, at Luckiamute Charter School.
* Emma Nicassio, grade 6 at Ash Creek Intermediate School.
* Maggie Carrillo and Chris Hinds, grade 8 at Talmadge Middle School.
* Missy Stephenson, senior at Mid-Valley Christian Academy.
* Shannin MacCarthy, senior at Central High School.
* Melissa Nelson, senior and Tina Trinh, junior at Western Oregon University.