Wednesday, December 29, 2010
POLK COUNTY -- A number of local not-for-profit groups and organizations are offering to recycle your Christmas tree for a nominal fee beginning this week.
Among those providing tree recycling in Polk County:
* Heart to Heart Church will pick up or you will be able to drop off trees at 191 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth, today (Wednesday, Dec. 29) and Saturday, Jan. 8, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost per tree is $4 if you drop the tree off at the church or $5 if your tree is picked up. Proceeds benefit the church's the Sunday school camp. For more information or to schedule a pickup time, call 503-838-4742, 503-930-5602 or 503-837-0541.
* Central Youth Sports and Talmadge Middle School Sports will pick up and recycle Christmas trees on Thursday, Dec. 30, Saturday, Jan. 8, and Sunday, Jan. 9. Cost is $5 per tree. For more information or to schedule a pickup time: Stacy Olson, 503-838-1701; e-mail to email@example.com.
* Grace Community Church in Dallas will offer Christmas tree recycling on Saturday, Jan. 1, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Volunteers will come and pick up trees at your home. Cost is by a donation, with proceeds benefiting kid's summer camp scholarships.
For more information: 503-623-4961.
* Boys Scout Troop 38 of Independence and Monmouth is offering a Christmas tree recycling service, with pickup dates available starting Sunday, Jan. 2.
Pickup dates are also scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 8, and Sunday, Jan. 9.
A donation of $5 per tree is suggested. Proceeds help pay for summer camps, outings and equipment for local scouts.
To arrange to have your tree picked up, call 503-893-8380 or send an e-mail with your name, address, phone number and the date you want your tree picked up to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then leave your tree in your driveway, where it will be picked up between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., along with a check made payable to Troop 38 attached in a plastic bag.
* Polk County Search and rescue is holding a Christmas tree recycling event Sunday, Jan. 2.
Collection sites are at the Dallas Fire Station, 915 SE Shelton St., and Polk County Fire District No. 1, 1800 Monmouth St., Independence. Trees will be accepted at both sites from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Cost is by a donation. Tree pick up is possible for those with special needs.
For more information: 503-559-2700 or 503-508-1001.
* Dallas Mat Club will pick up or you will be able to drop off Christmas trees at LaCreole Middle School, 701 SE LaCreole Drive, on Sunday, Jan. 2, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Donations are gladly accepted. All proceeds benefit youth and middle school wrestling.
For more information or to schedule a pick up call Julie at 503-623-7850.
* SABLE House tree recycling and leaf drop-off will be held at Allied Waste, 1030 W. Ellendale Ave., Dallas, on Saturday, Jan. 8, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $5 per tree and/or pile of leaves. Tree pickup service is also available. Proceeds from the event will benefit Sable House Women's Shelter.