Two families ousted by duplex fire

DALLAS -- A duplex fire on Miller Avenue in Dallas displaced two families and caused thousands in damage on Wednesday, Feb. 24.



DALLAS -- A duplex fire on Miller Avenue in Dallas displaced two families and caused thousands in damage on Wednesday, Feb. 24.

At about 4:30 p.m., firefighters responded to 1016 SE Miller Ave. to a report of a kitchen fire in one of the units.

Dallas Fire Chief Bill Hahn said the fire started when someone left oil for frying doughnuts on the stove unattended. The two people home at the time heard the smoke alarm and discovered the stove top and area next to the stove was ablaze.

They left the house and called 9-1-1.

"The fire damage was contained to the kitchen area," Hahn said.

However, there was smoke damage to both units in the duplex and Hahn believed the two families who lived there had to be evacuated.

He said the family living in the unit where the fire started did not have renters' insurance and was assisted by the Red Cross that night.

Hahn estimated that the blaze caused $30,000 in damage to the unit where the fire started and $10,000 in smoke cleanup costs in the other unit.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour putting out the fire and assuring there were no flare-ups.

Hahn reminded people to use caution while cooking.

"If you are doing any cooking within the kitchen area, you should not leave the area as long as there is something on that requires your attention," he said.



Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment