POLK COUNTY -- Flu season is rapidly approaching and the Polk County Public Health Department is again offering flu immunization clinics throughout the region.
This year's flu vaccine will protect against the H1N1 virus and two other influenza strains.
"People who were vaccinated against H1N1 last year should also get the seasonal flu shot this year because immunity may have worn off and this year's flu vaccine protects against two additional strains of influenza," noted Judy Johnson, RN and immunization coordinator for Polk County Public Health.
It is recommended that individuals get their flu shot early this season, according to Johnson. The vaccine can be effective for as long as one year.
The vaccine is recommended for those 6 months of age and older.
This year's county seasonal flu vaccination schedule includes:
* Monday, Oct. 11 -- 10 a.m. to noon, Academy Building Gym, 182 SW Academy St., Dallas.
* Thursday, Oct. 14 -- 1 to 3 p.m., Monmouth Senior Center, 180 Warren St. S., Monmouth.
* Monday, Oct. 25 -- 1 to 2:30 p.m., Seventh-day Adventist Church, 27660 Salmon River Highway (Hwy. 18), Grand Ronde.
* Thursday, Oct. 28 -- 10 a.m. to noon, Polk County Courthouse, First Floor Conference Room, 850 Main St., Dallas.
* After Nov. 1 -- While supplies last, walk-ins are welcome from 8 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Polk County Public Health Department, 182 SW Academy St., third floor, Suite 302, Dallas.
Flu vaccines cost $25 each. Pneumonia vaccines are also available and cost $62 each. Nurses can answer questions about whether a pneumonia vaccine is needed.
Polk County Public Health is only able to bill Oregon Health Plan Insurance, Regence Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Oregon, Regence Life and Health, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Advantage plus Rx. All others will be expected to pay at the time of the shot by cash or check.
No one will be turned away due to inability to pay.
For more information: Polk County Health Information Line, 503-623-8176.
Need a Shot?
Polk County Public Health Flu Immunization Clinics.
When and Where:
Monday, Oct. 11, at Academy Building, Dallas; Thursday, Oct. 14, Monmouth Senior Center; Monday, Oct. 25, Seventh-day Adventist Church, Grand Ronde; Thursday, Oct. 28, Polk County Courthouse, Dallas; and daily after Nov. 1 while supplies last at Polk County Public Health Department, Dallas.
Flu vaccine, $25 each; pneumonia vaccine, $62 each.
For more information: