DALLAS -- A Dallas family was displaced following a house fire early on the morning of Wednesday, Feb. 23.
Firefighters were originally dispatched to a house in the 400 block of Northeast Dallas Drive at about 3 a.m. to a report of an alarm sounding.
Soon after the initial report, the occupants of the house called 9-1-1, saying the house was filled with smoke.
Dallas Fire Inspector Sean Condon said the residents of the house were awakened by fire alarms in the house and were able to escape.
Condon said firefighters arrived to an active fire in one of the bedrooms of the home. Crews were able to partially knock down the flames from the outside through a window before sending firefighters inside to extinguish the blaze completely. The fire was under control in about 15 minutes, Condon said.
Crews were able to contain the blaze to one of the bedrooms, but the home suffered significant smoke damage. The family of four adults and one child were taken to the Best Western Inn & Suites to await assistance from the Red Cross.
Condon said the cause of the fire was improperly discarding smoking materials.
He added thanks to functioning smoke alarms, no one in the home was injured during the blaze.