Tuesday, November 1, 2011
MONMOUTH/INDEPENDENCE -- Central School District has set a calendar and structure for the search for a new superintendent.
November figures to be an important one for interested community members. The Oregon School Board Association -- which is running the process -- will gather input through meetings that will frame qualifications and qualities for a new full-time head for Central.
"Knowing as much as we can about what Central School Board and the community is looking for helps us match up the right candidates," said Chuck Bugge, OSBA executive search consultant.
Meetings will be held between Nov. 14-17 for different stakeholders, including staff, administrators and residents, Bugge said. Exact start times and locations are forthcoming.
Those unable to make those sessions will be able to comment through an online survey that will eventually be posted on the district's website.
Superintendent qualifications will be presented to the school board on Dec. 5 for review and approval. OSBA will also create a brochure describing the district, Monmouth and Independence.
Advertising for the position will start on Dec. 15 through several state and national education publications, Bugge said.
The district will put out requests in December for participants for a screening committee that will read through applications of different candidates.
Bugge recommended that the group be made up of a mix of school employees, community and business leaders.
In a joint statement, Cheri Higgins and Rebecca Nordtvedt, co-presidents of the Central Education Association, the local teacher's union, wrote:
"We're encouraged by the board's interest in hearing from the teachers and community both before and during the process, and by their goal to create an evaluation procedure for the superintendent before her or his arrival."
Screening committee members would go through training with OSBA and pare down the applications to five or six candidates that the board will eventually interview.
The goal is to hire a new superintendent by April 2012 and have him or her start the job on July 1.
For meeting times, schedules and other information regarding the Central superintendent search, call 503-838-0030 or visit www.central.k12.or.us.
Timeline for Finding a Superintendent
Key dates on Central School District's superintendent search calender:
* Nov. 14-18 -- OSBA meets with staff and community members for input on superintendent qualities and qualifications.
* Dec. 15 -- Application period for the position opens.
* Jan. 9 -- Central School Board selects application screening committee.
* Feb. 16 -- Closing date for superintendent applications.
* Feb. 28 -- Final candidate list presented to Central School Board.
* March 7-10 -- School board conducts interviews.
* March 12-16 -- School board visits finalists' home districts.
* March 26-28 -- Community forum with finalists; board selects first choice.
* April 2 -- School board hires new superintendent.
* July 1 -- Start date for new superintendent.