Tillamook hands Central its first loss

The boys soccer team falls on the road and in the rain.

INDEPENDENCE -- Central's boys soccer team suffered its first loss of the season Sept. 17, falling 2-0 on the road and in the rain at Tillamook.

The Panthers (3-1 overall) fell behind 1-0 in the seventh minute largely because of a defensive miscue. The Cheesemakers added a second goal on a penalty kick in the game's 55th minute.

"We did not play well," Central coach Mike Lynch said. "Tillamook won most of the balls in the air. I am sure the rain did not help much, either. It threw off our touch. We hadn't had any games in the rain, yet. They were able to control the pace of the game."

Central opened the season the previous week by beating host Junction City 3-2 Sept. 6. The Panthers also prevailed 5-1 Sept. 8 at Elmira and 1-0 Sept. 10 at Cottage Grove.

The Panthers' Gregorio Herrera scored against Cottage Grove in the game's 32nd minute.

Central netminder Alex Gomez made three saves.

"Playing at Cottage Grove was a small test of how we are shaping up as a team," Lynch said. "Cottage Grove is a good team. The action was back and forth most of the game. Both teams had a few opportunities, but Central was the team that capitalized."

The Panthers went ahead of Elmira 1-0 four minutes deep into the contest on a goal by Raymundo DeLa Torre.

Alejandro Echeverri made it 2-0 in the 27th minute off a pass from Salvador Allison.

The Falcons pulled within 2-1 early in the second half, but Central responded with a quick pair of goals by Allison. Jonathan Pedraza assisted on the first, and Jese Vera got the helper on the second.

Heber DeLa Torre closed the scoring with a goal in the 57th minute. Herrera assisted.

Gomez finished the game with five stops.

"We scored early and then struggled to keep the ball on the pitch," Lynch said. "Elmira is a much taller team than us, and they were able to take advantage of that. Once we figured that out, we were able to score a few goals in a short span of time."

Gomez made a key save with about eight minutes left in the game to seal the win against Junction City.

The Tigers went up 1-0 in the game's first minute. Central, though, made it 1-1 about a minute later when Echeverri took a pass from Allison and scored.

The Panthers took their first lead on a goal by Allison about 13 minutes later. Allison also connected with the back of the net in the 32nd minute, making it 3-1.

Junction City pulled within 3-2 at the 70-minute mark, scoring on a penalty kick.

Central next will host Philomath at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 22.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment