POLK COUNTY -- May's special election is shaping up to be competitive for Polk County's four school district boards.
All seats except Central School Board Position 4, currently held by John Boyack, attracted candidates. Traci Hamilton, who currently holds Position 6, is not seeking re-election.
Dallas School Board will have two contested races. Two candidates will run for Position 1: Jon Woods, who was appointed in November to fill a vacancy, and challenger Larry Blair. The race for Position 3 will be between incumbent Lu Ann Meyer and challenger Joshua Shoob.
Falls City School Board has one contested race. Kristy Major and Anthony Drill will face off for Position 1, currently held by Donna Creekmore, who is not seeking re-election. New board member Shane Castle, appointed to the board on March 11, is running for election to Position 5.
All three open races for the Perrydale School Board will be contested. Three candidates will vie for Position 2, now held by Bill Kohlmeyer, who is not seeking re-election. Positions 3 and 5 both attracted two candidates.
The special election is May 21. The filing deadline for candidates was March 21.
Here are the Candidates ...
Central School District No. 13J
* Position 2, four-year term: Jennifer Mason (incumbent).
* Position 4, four-year term: No candidate filed.
* Position 6, four-year term: Donn Wahl.
Dallas School District No. 2
* Position 1, four-year term: Jon Woods (incumbent); Larry Blair.
* Position 3, four-year term: Lu Ann Meyer (incumbent); Joshua Shoob.
* Position 4, four-year term: Michael Blanchard (incumbent).
Falls City School District No. 57
* Position 1, four-year term: Anthony J. Drill; Kristy Major.
* Position 3, four-year term: Larry Sickles (incumbent).
* Position 5, four-year term: Shane Castle (incumbent).
Perrydale School District No. 21
* Position 2, four-year term: Tyler Clement, Amity; Trina Comerford, Rickreall; Ken Perkins, Independence.
* Position 3, four-year term: Lisa Mitchell, Rickreall (incumbent); Stephanie Lux, Sheridan.
* Position 5, four-year term: John Johnston, Amity (incumbent); Kirk R. Hutchinson, Amity.