MONMOUTH — Businesses and residences in the 300 block of East Main Street in downtown Monmouth were evacuated for two hours Thursday morning after a white Volkswagen bug crashed into a natural gas meter. Polk County Fire District No. 1 evacuated buildings from Main Street north to Power Street and from Ecols Street west to Broad Street. NW Natural personnel stopped the gas leak at 10:09 a.m. Air samples were taken inside buildings to ensure no gas had accumulated. Monmouth Power and Light had to cut power to the affected area until all was clear. People were allowed to return to their homes and businesses at 10:30 a.m. Monmouth and Independence police departments assisted with traffic control; Monmouth Public Works provided roadway barriers. No firefighter or civilian injuries were reported.