0

Fire Destroys Indy Home

INDEPENDENCE — A juvenile male suffered minor burns and possible smoke inhalation after an accidental fire burned the home at 462 B St. in Independence on Thursday.

Polk County Fire District No. 1 responded to the call at 5:42 p.m.

Deputy Chief Neal Olson said smoke was visible from throughout the area and reported from Dallas and Rickreall. As personnel arrived on scene, heavy smoke and fire was present near the rear of the single-story residence.

“This fire occurred across the street from Independence Elementary School as the after-school program was being released,” Olson said in a press release. “The narrow roads and limited access, numerous cars, and many bystanders made initial efforts difficult for responders.”

Firefighters were on scene for about two-and-a-half hours.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to electrical failure, Olson said.

The property and contents are a complete loss valued at $75,000, Olson said. There were no smoke alarms in the residence.

“Please maintain working smoke alarms in your residence,” Olson said.

Five engines, one ladder truck, one rescue unit, two medical units, one command unit, and 42 firefighter personnel responded.

Polk No. 1 was assisted by Southwest Polk Fire District, Dallas Fire & EMS, Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office, and Independence Police Department.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

CLOSE X

Information from the Itemizer-Observer and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)