News and information from our partners

Election results: Commissioners races close

Measures to support fire departments pass



POLK COUNTY – Primary election results from the Polk County Clerk’s Office show Polk County Board of Commissioners incumbents Craig Pope and Mike Ainsworth close to runoff territory.

To declare a winner in a commissioner’s race during a primary election, one candidate must earn a majority (50 percent, plus one vote). If that doesn’t happen, the race goes to a runoff between the top two vote winners in the general election.

The second election results report, run at 12:59 a.m. on Wednesday, had Pope leading with 7,965 or 50.3 percent to Terry Taylor’s 5,236 or 33.07 percent and Michele Campione’s 2,593 or 16.38 percent in the No. 2 commissioner race.

In the Commissioners No. 3 race, Ainsworth led in with 7,751 votes, representing 50.84 percent. Challengers Kathy Martin-Willis (6,718 or 44.07 percent) and Daniel Ervin (729 or 4.78 percent) combined for 48.85 percent.

The measure to maintain the Polk County Courthouse complex was failing by a margin of 9,073 voting no to 8,703 voting yes. The measure would have sent almost $10 million to the county for interior and exterior repairs of both the historic and annex buildings and complete a minor remodel in the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

Measures supporting the Falls City Fire Department and Polk County Fire No. 1 were passing 178-64 and 2,918-881, respectively.

Falls City’s measure is a five-year local option levy that cost $1 per $1,000 of assessed value on properties and would pay for operations, new breathing units, firefighting tools, a duty rig, and station building maintenance and security.

The Polk No. 1 levy cost 19 cents per $1,000 of assessed value on properties and pays for adding a fourth firefighter-paramedic, a part-time fire marshal, and contributions to the district’s equipment replacement plan.

In statewide races, Deb Patterson leads for the Democratic nomination for Oregon Senate District 10. She will face incumbent Jackie Winters in November. Selma Pierce leads Kevin Chambers for the Republican nomination for Oregon House District 20. She will face incumbent Paul Evans in the general election.

Mike Nearman has fended off challenger Kris Morse Bledsoe for the Republican nomination in Oregon House District 23. Nearman, the incumbent, will face Democrat Danny Jaffer in November.



Partner Content



Commenting has been disabled for this item.