Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
August 16, 2012
POLK COUNTY -- Due to the hot weather, several "cooling stations" will be available in the Dallas, Monmouth and Independence areas on Thursday and Friday.
These locations provide a place for those people who may not have air conditioning in their homes to escape the heat during daytime hours when temperatures will reach their peak:
* Dallas Public Library, 950 Main St. -- Available Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
* Werner University Center, Western Oregon University, 345 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth -- From noon to 8 p.m. both days; free parking available in Lot H.
* Monmouth Public Library, 168 S. Ecols St. -- Available until 8 p.m. on Thursday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday.
* Monmouth Senior Center, 180 S. Warren St. -- Available fro, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days.
* Independence Public Library, 175 Monmouth St. -- Extended hours; open until 8 p.m. both days.
Depending on availability, Polk County CERT members will be on hand to help monitor arrivals for signs of heat related issues as well as providing education on how to self-monitor for signs of heat exhaustion.
Share this information with folks you may know looking to get out of the heat.