Friday, May 24, 2013
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
September 11, 2012
Commissioners to appear at forum
INDEPENDENCE -- Community members are invited to discuss regional issues with Polk County Commissioners during an open forum on Thursday.
The event will take place at Independence Public Library and begins at 7 p.m.
Each of the commissioners will speak on the following topics: nonagricultural activities on farmland; the end or reduction of federal timber payments and the resulting consequences; and availability and conservation of water sources in the county.
The forum is hosted by the Friends of Polk County, a nonprofit organization that focuses on conservation and protection of farm and forest land, and how to improve the health and livability of local communities.
After a presentation on each topic, the host will ask questions to the commissioners, and then invite the public to do the same. The discussion will be followed by a social hour and free refreshments.
For more information: Tremaine Arkley, 503-838-4886; email@example.com
PSWCD honors groups, individuals
WEST SALEM -- Polk Soil and Water Conservation District recently presented awards to several individuals and groups as part of its "A Taste of Polk County" annual meeting held in John Grey Hall at the Oregon 4-H Center.
Awards recipients were:
* Large Cooperator of the Year -- The Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde.
* Small Cooperators of the Year -- Larry and Diana Blair.
* Conservation Group of the Year -- City of Dallas.
* Educator of the Year -- Tom Finegan, district conservationist, Polk County Natural Resource Conservation Service Center.
* Director of the Year -- Tom Thomson.
* Director Emeritus of the Year -- Don Duhrkopf.
* High School Teacher of the Year -- Tim Ray, Dallas High School.
* Middle School Teacher of the Year -- April Logsdon, Perrydale School.
* Outdoor School Presenter of the Year -- Kent Stuart.
* Polk SWCD Intern of the Year -- Sawyer Finegan.
* Polk SWCD Outstanding Employee of the Year -- Kersey Schuh.
For more information: www.polkswcd.org.