Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
September 18, 2012
POLK COUNTY -- The flu season is quickly approaching and with it the Polk County Public Health Department is again sponsoring seasonal flu immunization clinics that begin this week.
This year the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) is encouraging the medical community to begin immunizing as soon as the flu vaccine is available. The vaccine can be effective for up to one year, so individuals can get a shot early and still be covered during the winter months when the flu is more prevalent.
The vaccine is recommended for those 6 months of age and older.
Flu vaccine cost is $20. Pneumonia vaccine is also available for an additional $75. If you have questions about whether a Pneumonia vaccine is needed, you can consult one of the nurses at the flu clinics.
Individuals should wear short-sleeve shirts when getting a shot.
Payment may be made by cash or check. Polk County Public Health is only able to bill the Oregon Health Plan. Vaccine is also available for those without insurance; no one will be turned away for inability to pay.
Tips to help you stay healthy this flu season include:
* Washing your hands frequently throughout the day.
* Eating healthy foods, staying physically active and getting enough rest.
* Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and stay home when you are sick. It's best to cough or sneeze into your elbow, and not your hands.
For more information on flu vaccine clinics in Polk County, call the Polk County Health Information Hotline at 503-623-8176.
Get a Shot
POLK COUNTY SEASONAL FLU SHOT CLINIC SCHEDULE
* Thursday, Sept. 20 -- 10:30 a.m. to noon, Academy Building gym, 182 SW Academy St., Dallas.
* Thursday, Oct. 4 -- 1 to 2:30 p.m., Monmouth Senior Center, 180 S. Warren St., Monmouth.
* Monday, Oct. 8 -- 10:30 a.m. to noon, Polk County Courthouse, First Floor Conference Room, 850 Main St., Dallas.
* Thursday, Oct. 11 -- 10 to 11:30 a.m., Polk County Mental Health, Conference Room B, 1520 Plaza St. NW, Suite 150, West Salem.
* Walk-ins are welcome Monday through Friday from 8 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. at the Polk County Public Health Department, 182 SW Academy St., Suite 302, Dallas, while vaccine supplies last.