Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
October 23, 2012
MONMOUTH -- If you're a graduate of Western Oregon University with a penchant for creativity, the school wants to show it off.
WOU's Hamersly Library will be running an open art exhibit entitled "Alumni Art: Remembering Western" starting Jan. 7.
Between now and Dec. 7, those who attended and earned a degree at WOU or any of its previous incarnations -- Western Oregon State College, Oregon College of Education, etc. -- are welcome to submit their art for display.
All three of the facility's upper-floor galleries, and the lobby, if needed, will be used for two- and three-dimensional artwork.
This will be only the second alumni show the library has hosted; the first was in 2000, the year Hamersly opened.
"There have been a lot of people who've graduated since then," said Jerrie Lee Parpart, Hamersly curator. "We thought it was a great opportunity to showcase what our students have done or are still doing in the art field."
The theme will be how Western connects to the community. The art can be a previously finished work that fits that designation or a new creation, Parpart said.
The exhibit will run Jan. 7 to March 15.
* You must be an alum of WOU or the university under its previous names.
* Painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, printmaking, ceramics, graphic design, fibers, and mixed media are all acceptable.
* There's a limit of two works per artist. The library reserves the right to display only one piece, depending on the total number of submissions.
* Late submissions will be considered as space is available.
* Artwork may be available for sale, with a 30 percent commission going back to the library for future exhibits.
* Works must be shipped or hand delivered to Hamersly Library, 345 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth, OR by Dec. 7.
For more details or questions about the criteria: Jerrie Lee Parpart, 503-838-8419; email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit wou.edu/library/exhibits.