Saturday, May 18, 2013
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
February 12, 2013
DALLAS -- The Dallas Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services honored their best at the two agencies' annual awards ceremony in late January.
The event was held at the Oregon Army National Guard's new Col. James Nesmith Readiness Center in Dallas.
During the ceremony, 18 firefighters and emergency medical technicians and one civilian were honored for acts of heroism or years of service.
During 2012, the 65 members of the volunteer fire department responded to 687 emergency incidents and gave more than 4,300 hours to various community service events.
EMS responded to 2,626 calls in 2012.
Those honored were:
* Special Community Service Award -- Cooper Noack, for his Eagle Scout project in which he raised money and coordinated volunteers to place blue dots on city streets to help firefighters locate fire hydrants when responding to fires. He also purchased fire prevention equipment with funding left over from his project.
* Training Officer's Award -- Richard Alarid.
* Rookie of the Year -- Austin Champ.
* Fire Officer of the Year -- Shaun Wagner.
* Support Service Member of the Year -- Kevin Anderson.
* EMT of the Year -- Shaun Wagner.
* Firefighter of the Year -- Carl Parker.
* Five years Fire: John Barbour, Don Summers, Jesse Friedow, Shawn Stamy and Andrew Woolsey. Five years EMS: Melody Eddings. 10 years Fire: Kevin Parnell, Chris Warner, Carl Parker, Jim Shodin. 15 years Fire: Eriks Gabliks. 20 Years Fire: Jeff Dorais. 25 Years Fire: Dave Pederson. 35 Years EMS: Gary Hibbeler.