Friday, April 18, 2014

Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868

All lodging taxes now go to DAVC

DALLAS — The Dallas Area Visitor's Center will now receive 100 percent of the city's transient lodging tax — a tax charged on hotel and motel stays — to promote tourism and community activities that attract visitors.

January 07, 2014

DALLAS — The Dallas Area Visitor's Center will now receive 100 percent of the city's transient lodging tax — a tax charged on hotel and motel stays — to promote tourism and community activities that attract visitors.

Until last year, the visitor's center was only guaranteed to receive 70 percent of the tax revenue. The other 30 percent was discretionary and could be used to fund city services.

In 2013, the city and visitor's center agreed to a contract providing all the funding to the center with its use outlined in a council-approved work plan.

"The council at the time decided probably what would be best was to give the extra 30 percent … to the visitor's center," City Manager Ron Foggin said.

Monday, the council took that idea a step further, approving a five-year contract with the visitor's center to use the discretionary portion to organize events such as Polk County Bounty Market, Sounds of Summer, Freedomfest, Sum-merfest and Winterfest.

"We are interested in protecting those core programs, events that make Dallas Dallas," Foggin said.

Hot Jobs