Thursday, April 24, 2014
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
February 18, 2014
Itemizer-Observer staff report
POLK COUNTY — Primary election season is nearly upon us, and those interested in running for office have just slightly less than three weeks to file for those county and statewide offices up for election.
The 2014 primary election is May 20.
• U.S. Senate, seat currently held by Jeff Merkley.
• U.S. House District 5, currently held by Rep. Kurt Schrader.
Three county government seats will be challenged during the primary:
• Polk County Board of Commissioners, Position No. 2 (currently held by Commissioner Craig Pope).
• Polk County Board of Commissioners, Position No. 3 (currently held by Commissioner Mike Ainsworth).
• Polk County Sheriff (currently held by Bob Wolfe).
One state senate seat and three state representative seats are up for election:
• State Senate District 10 (currently held by Jackie Winters).
• State Representative District 10 (currently held by David Gomberg).
• State Representative District 20 (currently held by Vicki Berger).
• State Representative District 23 (currently held by Jim Thompson).
Candidates have until March 11 to file for candidacy. Paperwork can be filed with the Polk County Clerk for BOC and Polk County Sheriff seats. For national and statewide offices, candidates file with the Oregon Secretary of State’s Office.