Thursday, April 24, 2014

Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868


*John Franklin Lorence*Joyce L. Taylor*Pauline Parmenter*Rose Marie Baker*June A. Whitney*William 'Bill' W. Gillis*Dennis Michael McCarthy*John A. Koloen*Dean H. Levie*A.J. 'Jack ' Stein*Franklin D. Hoekstre*Betty Josephine Pittam*Lonnie Dean Jackson

September 10, 2013

John Franklin Lorence

Feb. 15, 1927 - Aug. 25, 2013

John Franklin Lorence

John Franklin Lorence

John Franklin Lorence, 86, of Independence died Aug. 25.

He was born in Salem to Jennings Bryan Lorence and Ruth Brown Lorence.

He spent his boyhood on the Lorence family farm, north of Monmouth, where his father, his brother Bob and he operated the largest grass seed operation in the area -- approximately 1,000 acres.

John attended both grade school and Monmouth High School on the campus of what is now Western Oregon University.

He was very patriotic, leaving high school at the end of his junior year at age 17 to join the Navy during World War II. His unit consisted of young men from Marion and Polk counties and he arrived at boot camp on D-Day.

Vessels and stations he served were: NTC; Farragut, Idaho: NATTC; Norman, Oklahoma: CASU21; and USS Lake Champlain (CV-39). Medals he received were: American Area, Victory World War II and European African. He was on a carrier en route to the Pacific when President Truman commanded the atomic bombs be dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. His carrier was ordered to turn around and help bring U.S. military home from Europe. John always felt this saved his life, as most of his buddies from boot camp, who were deployed earlier, never returned. He was proud to be a World War II veteran and a member of the "Greatest Generation."

After his discharge he was granted a high school diploma from Monmouth High School due to his military service. He graduated with a degree in engineering from Oregon State University. He was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. Following graduation he joined the Navy Reserve and retired as a lieutenant commander.


He was employed by Caterpillar Corp. as an administrator in the engineering department at the Dallas plant and as their liaison with the home office in Peoria, Ill. Following his retirement he was requested to return as a consultant at their plant in Monterey, Mexico.

In 1950 John married Evelyn Jackson. They had three children: Vicki, Jodi and Randy. Evelyn preceded him in death in 1988.

Other than his family, John's great love was for flying. His first flight at age 2 was in his mother's lap in a Jenny. He had been a private pilot for 42 years. As the sound of airplane engines overhead was music to his ears, he became one of the first residents of the Independence Airpark.

In 1991 John married Evelyn Cates Smith (widow of Dr. Edgar H. Smith) in the chapel of the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif. They spent many happy years flying in their Grumman Tiger as members of the American Yankee Association. The Reno Air Races was an annual event they attended.

Both John and Evelyn were volunteers at the McMinnville Evergreen Aviation Museum for 11 years. They were charter members and were awarded lifetime memberships. John was a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association and built two experimental airplanes. He maintained memberships in USS Lake Champlain Association, AOPA, the Oregon Pilots Assoc., Antique and Classic Aircraft, WAAM museum in Hood River, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Beaver Squadron of ANA, Willamette Chapter Military Officers, Independence Elks Lodge, and his favorite -- the Eugene Hangar Quiet Birdmen.

Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Evelyn; daughters, Vicki Westerman (Joe) and Jodi Heatherington (Doug); son, Randy Lorence (Tarn); stepdaughter, Diane Davie Murphy (Dan); seven grandchildren; two step-granddaughters; and two great-grandchildren.

Celebration of life is Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Restlawn Memory Gardens Chapel off Highway 22.

Contributions are suggested to the Goodfellow Historical Foundation for QB's, 4130 Mennes Ave. Hangar 39, Riverside, Calif. 92509-6707, or the Salem Heart Center, 665 Winter St., Suite B0350, First Floor, Salem, Ore. 97301.

Farnstrom Mortuary, Independence, handled arrangements.

Joyce L. Taylor

Aug. 20, 1927 - Sept. 1, 2013

Joyce L. Taylor

Joyce L. Taylor

Joyce Loretta Taylor, 86, of Dallas died Sept. 1 after a long illness.

She was born in Dallas to David and Mary Buller.

She married Willis "Wayne" Taylor and they enjoyed 66 years of marriage.

Joyce was involved at Dallas Evangelical Church, where she sang in the choir and enjoyed many years of fellowship. She was also involved in the Rickreall Christmas Pageant and used her talents to bless others. Most of all, Joyce loved children. She loved any child and especially her own children and grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her son, David, and her sisters, Mildred, Alta, Ina and Elma.

Survivors include her husband, Wayne Taylor of Dallas; sons, Gary of Tacoma, Wash., and Jason of Salem; sister, Stella Bowden of Medford; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.

Graveside service was Friday at Dallas Cemetery.

Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

Pauline Parmenter

June 9, 1923 - Sept. 1, 2013

Pauline Parmenter

Pauline Parmenter

Pauline Parmenter, 90, of Dallas died Sept. 1 in Dallas.

She was born in a logging camp in the mountains east of Eugene to Milo and Mary Smith.

After graduating from Springfield High School at the age of 16 Pauline attended the University of Oregon. During her junior year she enlisted in the Navy, becoming an air control tower operator stationed at the airfield in Astoria. After an honorable discharge she completed her degree in political science at Oregon.


Pauline married Russell Parmenter in Philomath on Sept. 23, 1951. They moved to Dallas, where they raised three children: Mark, Pam and Tracy. For two decades Pauline worked as a first-grade teacher at Whitworth Elementary School in Dallas.

After retirement Pauline traveled to Europe as well as to New York, the Civil War battlefields and the Grand Canyon. She was also active in countless charitable organizations.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Russell, and brother, Kenneth, during World War II.

Survivors include her brother, Harold Smith of Sandy; sister, Pat Clark of Philomath; son, Mark Parmenter of Aurora, Colo.; daughters, Pam (David) Lanning of Springfield and Tracy (Dennis) Snyder of Salem; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandsons.

Memorial service is Thursday at 11 a.m. at Dallas United Methodist Church.

Contributions are suggested to the church or to Habitat for Humanity in care of Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center, which handled arrangements.

To send an online condolence:

Rose Marie Misuraco Baker

Oct. 11, 1920 - Aug. 30, 2013

Rose Marie Baker

Rose Marie Baker

Rose Marie Baker, 92, of Independence died Aug. 30 due to complications of heart failure.

Rose, known to her friends as Rosie, was born in Hurley Wis., to Vincent and Josephine Misuraco.

She attended Lincoln Grade School and St. Mary's and then three years at St. Joseph's School of Nursing in Ashland, Wis.

During the summer of 1942 she met Robert "Bob" Baker and it was not long before the two were united in marriage. He was sent to Camp Adair (Army) in Oregon and they lived in Monmouth, where Bob had a thriving plumbing business.

After Bob died in 1988 Rose moved to Independence and spent winters in Yuma, Ariz.

Rose was the first female lettercarrier in Oregon and no one could miss her in her official uniform, hat, white gloves, and umbrella when she delivered the mail from 1966 to 1970. In 1970 she was reassigned to clerk craft due to a skin allergy from the sun. She then retired in the early 1980s.

Rose faithfully cared for her family and friends through delicious cooking and baking. A woman of faith and with a real zest for life, Rosie loved to dance, read, pray and play cards, especially with her friends at Monmouth Senior Center. She enjoyed traveling and was especially excited about her vacation to Italy and recent trip to New York City.

Filled with compassion and interest in others, Rosie made friends easily and possessed a contagious smile, an entertaining sense of humor and a laugh that that is unforgettable. Throughout her life she maintained a sweet, yet sassy demeanor that won the hearts of many.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Bob; daughter, Bonnie; son, Donald; and three great-grandchildren.

Survivors include her children, Bob Baker (Marsha) of Independence, Mike Baker (Tami) of Monmouth, John Baker of Thailand and Mary Jo Afonin (Paul) of Salem; sisters, Helen Kasper, Mary Wiita and Jeana Jancieski; brother, Sam Misuraco; and 20 grandchildren.

Memorial service was held Saturday at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Independence.

Contributions are suggested to the church.

Farnstrom Mortuary, Independence, handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

June A. Whitney

Oct. 30, 1927 - Aug. 31, 2013

June Anna Whitney, 85, of Independence died Aug. 31 in Independence.

She was born to Frank and Marie Mellmer in Hettinger, N.D.

June's life will be celebrated privately.

Farnstrom Mortuary handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

William 'Bill' W. Gillis

Aug. 13, 1923 - Sept. 6, 2013

William "Bill" W. Gillis

William "Bill" W. Gillis

William "Bill" W. Gillis, 90, of Dallas died Friday from complications from a fall.

He was born to Ora and Donnah (Hoffman) Gillis in Little Grant, Wis.

In 1929 the family moved to Leavenworth, Wash. Bill attended Leavenworth High School and excelled in sports, participating in football, basketball, baseball, ice skating, track and field (hurdles), skiing and jumping more than 100 feet on the "B" ski jump.

In February 1943 Bill joined the Army and was sent to the Pacific. He served in the 27th NY Infantry/Recon unit in the Marshall, Gilbert and Marianna islands and at Guadalcanal. He was wounded and received the Purple Heart at the Battle of Saipan.


In December of 1945 he married his high school sweetheart, Virginia Gentle, and graduated from Monmouth High School in June of 1946.

Bill and Virginia lived in Eureka, Calif., Seattle and Sweet Home before returning to Monmouth in 1953. Bill worked for Willamette Industries and several logging companies out of Dallas, where he lived the past 30 years.

Bill was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed hunting, fishing, hiking, gardening, woodworking and feeding the birds. On family camping trips he would always stop and talk about the trees and wildlife. He always enjoyed being around young people and was generous with what he had and was a great storyteller.

He was preceded in death by his sisters, Vi Stevens, Jane Brender, Lea Franklin and Grace Hatmaker.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia of Dallas; daughter, Kathleen (Don) Blevins of Lebanon; son, Grant (Debbie) of Deer Island; two grandchildren; and extended family.

Graveside service is Saturday at 10 a.m. at Fircrest Cemetery in Monmouth.

Contributions are suggested to Salem Friends of Felines (, Turtle Ridge Wildlife Refuge Center (,) or St. Labre Indian School (

Farnstrom Mortuary, Independence handled, arrangements. To send an online condolence:

Dennis Michael McCarthy

1942 - 2013

Dennis Michael McCarthy of Dallas died Aug. 11 after a long, brave battle with bone marrow cancer.
Dennis Michael McCarthy

Dennis Michael McCarthy

He was born in Yreka, Calif.

Dennis attended grade school and high school in Happy Camp, Calif., as well as Yreka. He played baseball for Yreka High School and San Jose State College. He never lost his love for baseball.

His love of travel took him to Europe in 1961 for seven months. He visited Ireland, where he stayed a month with his high school pen pal and researched his ancestry.

Dennis graduated from Armstrong College in Berkeley, Calif., in 1966 with a bachelor's degree in business administration.

He met his wife, Sharon, in Redding, Calif., and they were married in 1966. They moved to Portland, where he worked as an accountant for Bank of California and Crown Zellerbach on the Columbia River. They then moved to Burns and Lakeview, where Dennis was employed at lumber companies for 13 years. He then worked 11 years as the chief financial officer for Lake District Hospital in Lakeview. He finished his career in Salem at the Salvation Army.

Dennis loved the high desert and enjoyed hunting and fishing. His family and ancestry were important to him. He loved to laugh and talk about growing up in Siskiyou County. He was a kind, gentle spirit. He had a dry sense of humor and he loved to make people laugh.

Survivors include his wife, Sharon; daughters, Kelly and Kerry McCarthy; brothers, Dan McCarthy and Robert Weinzinger; sister, Sharleen Domeryer; three grandchildren; one great-grandson; and extended family.

Graveside memorial was held Aug. 17 at Fort Jones Cemetery in Fort Jones, Calif.

John A. Koloen

July 16, 1937 - Sept. 7, 2013

John A. Koloen

John A. Koloen

John. A. Koloen, 76, of Independence died Saturday.

He was born in Silverton to Oscar and Anna Overlund Koloen.

John was raised and attended school in Valsetz. He served 23 years in the Navy and retired as a petty officer first class in May of 1973.

While stationed in Yokosuka, Japan, he met his future bride, Misako Hayashi, and they were married on Jan. 17, 1969, in Tokyo. They lived in the United States for a few years and then returned to Japan to live for five years during the 1970s. While in Japan he trained as a firefighter. John also served five years in the Merchant Marines. Prior to moving to Independence John and his wife of 44 years lived in Waldport and Otis.


He worked as a bus driver for CARTS and as a school bus driver for sports trips and church groups. He enjoyed camping, picnicking, hiking and hunting for thunder eggs.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Bill Koloen, and sister, Beverly McGreger.

Survivors include his wife, Misako Koloen of Independence; brothers, Richard Koloen (Sharon) of Dallas and James Koloen of Florence; and extended family.

Gathering for family and friends will be held Saturday at 1 p.m. at the home of Dick and Sharon Koloen, 860 SW River Drive, Dallas.

Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

Dean H. Levie

Jan. 23, 1919 - Sept. 7, 2013


Dean H. Levie, 94, of Monmouth died Saturday in Monmouth.

He was born in Alunite Mill, Utah, to Harvey and Ida Levie.

Dean was proud of his service in the Army Air Corps during World War II. He married Pearl Catherine Butterfield on Dec. 10, 1943, in Sioux Falls, S.D.

For many years Dean was a city building inspector in Baldwin Park, Calif., and Klamath Falls. He also worked as a carpenter, retiring in 1981.

He was a member of the Moose Lodge. In 1981 he began bringing holiday cheer to parties as Santa Claus. He loved it and continued until 2010.

Dean was preceded in death by his wife, four children and all his siblings.

Survivors include four children; 18 grandchildren; many great-grandchildren; and several great-great-grandchildren.

Memorial service is Thursday at 11 a.m. at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 783 Church St. W., Monmouth. Private interment will be at Eagle Point National Cemetery.

Contributions are suggested to the Monmouth Senior Center Building Fund (

Farnstrom Mortuary, Independence, handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

A.J. 'Jack' Stein

June 25, 1921 - Sept. 8, 2013


A.J. 'Jack' Stein

A.J. "Jack" Stein, 92, of Dallas died Sunday.

He was born in MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Canada, to Phillip and Priscilla Stein.

Jack graduated from Canby Union High School in 1940. He worked in Amity in the grain elevators and later at the Portland shipyards.

Jack married June Hampton on April 8, 1950, in Oregon City. They lived in Canby prior to settling in Dallas in 1959. He had worked as a Union Oil Distributor in Canby and later in Dallas.

Jack had been a volunteer fire captain in Canby. He then served as the fire chief for the Dallas Volunteer Fire Department in 1965. He oversaw the building of the new Dallas Fire Station that was dedicated on July 28, 1973. Jack was a dedicated member of the Dallas Volunteer Fire Department and retired in 1982. The current training site for the fire department was dedicated in his honor after his retirement.

Jack enjoyed fishing in Prineville. He and June traveled around the United States and to New Zealand after he retired. Jack enjoyed woodworking. He also enjoyed spending time with his family and friends.

He was preceded in death by his wife, June, on July 3, 2011; sister, Noreen Hastings; and brother, Gordon "Cork" Stein.

Survivors include his sons, John (Michele) Stein of Dallas and Joel (Deanna) Stein of Keizer; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Visitation is Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center. Service is Saturday at 11 a.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church in Dallas. Private family interment will be at Dallas Cemetery.

Contributions are suggested to the Dallas Volunteer Fire Department in care of the mortuary.

To send an online condolence:

Franklin D. Hoekstre

Jan. 30, 1937 - Sept. 6, 2013

Frank Delano Hoekstre, 76, of Dallas, died Friday.

Visitation is Sept. 18 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center. Service is Sept. 19 at 10:30 a.m. at Dallas Evangelical Bible Church. Interment follows at Salt Creek Cemetery.

Dallas Mortuary Tribute Center handled arrangements. To send an online condolence:

Lonnie Dean Jackson

Feb. 24, 1945 - Sept. 5, 2013

Lonnie Dean Jackson

Lonnie Dean Jackson

Lonnie Dean Jackson, born Feb. 24 1945 in Burley Idaho, passed away while fishing, which was doing what he loved best, on September 5th, 2013.

Born the second oldest child to Vida and Rupert Jackson, he lived in a one bedroom home until the age of nine when Vida remarried. At that time, the family relocated north of Burley to a small farm in Paul, Idaho.

Lonnie graduated from Minico High School in 1963 and entered the U.S. Navy shortly thereafter. After completing boot camp Lonnie married his high school sweetheart Kay Tannehill on July 6th, 1965, and was then deployed to Vietnam aboard the U.S.S. Washoe County.


After one year of service, he was reassigned to the U.S.S. Alamo where he served an additional two years. He then joined Naval Reserves where he served for two years. In 1969, he was honorably discharged from the military and began his career with the Federal Aviation Administration as an Electrical Engineer. During this time he was overjoyed to meet his three children, Michael Dean, Charlene Kay, and Kristy Vida Jackson. After 36 years with the Federal Aviation Administration he retired as the Supervisor for the Long Range Radar Site on top of Laurel Mountain in Falls City, Oregon. During his last years with the FAA, he fulfilled his dream of building the family home in Dallas. He was involved in every part of its construction, from the foundation to the planing of the wood used in the mouldings, to the hand-constructed hickory kitchen cabinets.

Lonnie loved working with his hands, spending a lot of his free time woodworking, fishing, visiting family, spending time with his grandsons, Nikolas Melvin, Erik and Evan Jackson. He also loved spending time with the love of his life, his wife Kay, of 48 years. He enjoyed making people laugh, and laughing with others as well. His smile and humor will be greatly missed, along with his compassion, huge caring heart, and open arms.

Lonnie was proceeded in death by his father Rupert Jackson, mother Vida Lindh, and step father Henry Lindh. His brothers Charles, Robert, and Dennis survive him. He is also survived by his wife Kay, son Michael and wife Terri (grandsons Erik and Evan), daughter Charlene and husband David, and daughter Kristy (grandson Nikolas).

Viewing will be at at Restlawn Funeral Home at 201 Oak Grove Road NW on Wednesday, September 11th from 6 to 8 pm. Services will be held Thursday, September 12th at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 1401 SW 13th Steet, Dallas, Oregon, at 11 am. Internment to follow at Restlawn Cemetery.

The family has requested that donations be made to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 3203, Dallas, Oregon in memory of Lonnie Dean Jackson.

Betty Josephine Pittam

Dec. 15, 1922 - Sept. 5, 2013

Betty Josephine Pittam

Betty Josephine Pittam

Betty Josephine Pittam, the daughter of W.L. and Verna Eckles, was born in Nelson, Nebraska on December 15, 1922. She passed away September 5, 2013 at Orchard Heights Memory Care facility in Salem, Oregon. She was 90 years old. Betty graduated high school in Wilbur, NE and soon after, at age 19, married her true love, Gerald Thomas Pittam of Nora, NE. They lived in Clay Center NE and Jerry worked at the Ammo Dump during the early part of WWII. They then migrated, by railroad, to Oregon, living in the tiny burg of Marion Forks. Betty built kitchen cabinets for their little shack while Jerry logged. Later they moved to the Detroit/Idanha area and there their three children were born, Sherry Kay, Patricia Ann, and David Joe. Jerry stopped logging and went into the insurance business, Betty becoming his secretary. They moved operations to Mill City, but their friends from Idanha drove down many weekends to continue the card parties they were so fond of. Betty's children and grandchildren remember the great food and many weekend parties that Betty loved to give. In 1965 Jerry built Betty the home of her dreams on the North Santiam River, and later said he didn't think she'd ever leave the house or come to work again she loved it so much. Betty and Jerry were married 50 years when Jerry died in 1992. After Jerry's death Betty continued to have big family Christmas parties and though her children had Christmas at their own homes also, the grandchildren decided the real Christmas was at Grandma's. On Betty's 80th birthday, her children threw her a party and just about the whole town of Mill City showed up, plus relatives from all over Oregon, Washington and California. Several people remarked about the fact that Betty Pittam was a real lady. In her 80's Betty sold her home and moved to Monmouth, OR to be nearer to her children. Betty's oldest daughter, Sherry Kay, lived just a couple blocks away and took excellent care of her mother for many years. All of Betty's children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren adored her. She wasn't just a grandma, she was a grand lady all around. Betty is preceded in death by her husband, her parents, and her youngest brother. She is survived by her three children and spouses, six grandchildren and spouses, and fourteen great grandchildren. Private family services. Please in lieu of flowers, in memory of Betty Jo Pittam, donations can be given to Hospice Care of the Northwest, 2290 Commercial St. SE. Suite 108, Salem, OR 97302; or Christ's Church, 412 Clay St. W, Monmouth. Arrangements entrusted to Weddle Funeral Services.

Hot Jobs