Friday, April 18, 2014
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
June 18, 2013
I recently had an email exchange with a reader who questioned the need for deadlines at the newspaper.
She assumed that we, and all newspapers, have an infinite amount of space each issue and the news was placed on pages before the advertisements were placed. She also believed our Wednesday newspaper was "put together" late into the night on Tuesdays.
That isn't the case. And far from it.
This person was disappointed that she couldn't get her announcement in the Wednesday paper after submitting it to us at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. When I told her the deadline for her information was the previous Friday, and that the paper was all but done and about to go to press, she let me know in no uncertain terms of her disappointment in me and the I-O.
When I told her that we didn't have an infinite amount of space each week, that the amount of advertising dictates how much news space we have, and that we as a newsroom regularly don't get everything in the paper we produce ourselves, she didn't believe me.
In our case, and like many community-based weeklies, we have a small staff that cranks out a lot of work and takes on a great deal of responsibility in producing the newspaper each week. We must spread out that workload throughout the course of a week to make work days manageable and help us meet the printing press schedule.
Now might be a good time for a brief refresher course of Itemizer-Observer deadlines for the public to submit news items for publication consideration.
First and foremost, we want to help you and/or your organization gets its information in the newspaper. That's what we do as a member of the community. The key to this is being sure your news has a current Polk County connection and the event is taking place here in Polk County.
Our deadlines are as follows:
* Social News -- These are the engagements, weddings, anniversaries, birth announcements, 100th birthdays, etc. The deadline to submit these for consideration is 5 p.m. on Thursdays. We publish these free of charge -- as long as you follow our basic guidelines for providing certain information -- as space allows. Some items may be held a week or two due to space limitations.
* Business News -- Deadline is 5 p.m. Thursdays. Business news, including our Business Notebook, are not published some weeks due to space constraints.
* Community -- This is the broad heading for our Community Notebook, Community Calendar and Library Calendar. This is the page where many of the local events, like concerts, fundraisers and seminars, are published. Deadline is noon on Fridays.
* School Notes and Academic Honors -- These should be submitted by noon on Fridays. If you have an idea for a schools or education story, contact the newsroom as soon as possible.
* Any other submission by the community at large should arrive by 4 p.m. Fridays.
We hope these guidelines will help you when you have items to submit for publication. Questions? Don't hesitate to contact us at 503-623-2373 or via email to email@example.com.
Kurt Holland is the managing editor at the Itemizer-Observer.