Monday, April 21, 2014
Covering Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Falls City and surrounding areas since 1868
Central High School will honor patrons such as Vic Baldwin and Ray Coleman (top banners) in its newly formed athletic hall of fame in May.
March 13, 2013
INDEPENDENCE -- With 24 total state championships since 1951, you could say Central High School takes plenty of pride in its athletic program.
In May, the Panther faithful will finally have a place to honor the many athletes, coaches and supporters responsible for such success.
"It's huge," said Central Athletic Director Shane Hedrick of the school's newly formed athletic hall of fame, which will induct its inaugural class in a special ceremony May 11.
"I think it's very important to recognize the past and the history of Central High and to show the appreciation of those who have set the tone for our future Central athletes."
With plenty of lost time to make up for, the inaugural class is no small list.
Making the cut for 2013 were 16 former athletes, six coaches, three meritorious individuals and five state championship teams.
The selections were made by a 12-person committee headed by Hedrick, current Panthers Club President Page McBeth, CHS vice principal Brett Baldwin, former CHS athletic director Ron Williamson, and eight community members -- who are also Central alumni.
And while the 2013 selections have already been voted and decided on, Hedrick maintains that anyone can submit a nomination for future inductions, set to take place annually.
"We'll take nominations from anybody and everybody that is associated with Central," he said.
Forms are available in the CHS athletic office.
For the May 11 ceremony, longtime announcer and current Polk County Commissioner Mike Ainsworth will serve as the master of ceremonies and Jay Locey, the chief of staff and former assistant head coach for the Oregon State University football team, will serve as the keynote speaker.
Tickets will be available in the CHS athletic office beginning April 1.
CENTRAL HIGH ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY
When: May 11, 6 p.m.
Where: Central High auditorium.
Tickets: $5; available April 1 in the CHS athletic office or contact Shane Hedrick, 503-606-2228 or email@example.com.
2013 HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES...
- Greg Hartman, football, basketball, 1963 graduate.
- Lance Marr, football, basketball, golf, 1988.
- Jeff Charleston, football, basketball, 2001.
- Julie McDonald, basketball, 1992.
- Robby Marr, football, basketball, 1983.
- Jason Ball, basketball, 1990.
- Allison Buehler, softball, 1999.
- Gary Neal, track and field, football, basketball, 1963.
- Allison Omlid (Howard), tennis, basketball, 1982.
- Lloyd Graves, football, 1970.
- Steve McElravy, football, 1968.
- Jay Zarate, football, 1973.
- Juan Rangel, football, 1968.
- Mandy Allen (Little), basketball, 1998.
- Irma Oliveros (Coronado), volleyball, 1975.
- Mike Buss, football, 1970.
- Ray Coleman*, baseball, longtime athletic director, 1954-86.
- Bill Coutts, girls basketball state championship in 1992, coached football team to second-place finish in 1998.
- Lillian Louis, volleyball, girls basketball, 1975-87.
- Marv Heater, football, 1960 state championship.
- Bill Hargadine*, football, 1963 state championship.
- Duane Riddell, football, 1983 state championship.
- Paul Robinson*, longtime scorekeeper, 1950s-1960s.
- Mark Music, Central athletics supporter since 1998.
- Vic Baldwin*, first Panther Club president (1981) and CHS supporter for 42 years.
- 1960 football team
- 1963 boys basketball team
- 1958 baseball team
- 1979 girls tennis team
- 1982 girls basketball team
**all teams were state champions in their respective seasons.