A9 Dallas fire .jpg

This house caught fire in three separate areas

Itemizer-Observer staff report

DALLAS — Weed burning nearly caused significant damage to a home in the 1600 block of Miller Avenue late Wednesday.

Dallas Fire & EMS was dispatched to a report of a structure fire shortly before midnight. The owner of the home called after smelling a strong odor of smoke in the bedroom.  

“When firefighters arrived on scene, they located three separate areas on the outside of the house where the siding had caught fire,” a Dallas Fire news release said. “One of which, had burned through enough of the siding to cause the bedroom to fill with smoke.”

Firefighters learned that earlier in the day, weed burning had taken place around the residence and property. After suppression and overhaul, firefighters were able to prevent further spread of the fire to keep the house in a livable condition.

“Dallas Fire & EMS wants to remind you to be extra cautious this summer with open flame,” the release read. “This call could have had severe consequences if the occupants would have been asleep, as there were no smoke alarms in the sleeping areas of the home.”

Weed burning has been becoming more popular, resulting in more calls to fire departments once unintended fires start.

”We recommend that you do not use a weed burner around structures, and if you use one, don’t use them during fire season, and always follow manufacturer’s recommendations,” the release read.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.