Local firefighters were called to action in back-to-back days to extinguish challenging fires.
In the early morning hours n March 21, Dallas Fire & EMS responded to a report of a structure fire on the 300 block of Southeast Clay St. Upon arrival, fire personnel found a shed, two recreational vehicles and a large tree on fire.
According to Dallas F&EMS, due to how intense this fire was burning, Dallas Police assisted with evacuating the nearby neighbors. Firefighters worked aggressively to get the fire under control and to keep it from spreading to the residence and surrounding structures.
After the fire was extinguished, Dallas F&EMS determined the conflagration started in the chicken coop, which was originally thought to be a shed. Sadly, all the chickens died as a result of the fire. Two recreational vehicles were destroyed and there was minimal smoke damage to the inside of the residence. A neighbor’s house sustained a broken window due to the high temperature produced by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Dallas F&EMS was assisted by Polk County Fire District No. 1, Dallas Police Department and Pacific Power.
Just before 10 p.m. on March 22, both Dallas F&EMS and SW Polk Fire District were called to assist the Falls City Fire Department for a house fire on the 400 block of Prospect Street in Falls City. The first responding fire personnel from Falls City Fire saw heavy fire coming from the roof of the two-story house and immediately called for a second alarm. A second alarm prompts additional fire resources to respond to assist with getting a fire under control safely.
According to Dallas F&EMS, the construction of the house presented challenges for the firefighters. However they were able to get the fire extinguished without injuries to the residents and or themselves. An investigation into the fire determined that the occupants were burning very green wood in the wood burning stove, causing the chimney to overheat, starting a fire at the roofline where the pipe was in contact with the roofing materials. The fire breached the roofline and was burning heavily in the attic spaces.
In addition to DF&EMS and SW Polk Fire District, Falls City Fire received assistance from Polk County Sheriff’s Office and Pacific Power. The Red Cross was notified and will be assisting the residents.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.