Welcome to the 2015-16 school year!
This is one of my favorite times of year, as staff returns and excitedly prepare for the influx of students.
Our buildings look amazing, the enthusiasm level is high, and we are ready for our students!
Let’s kick off the year with celebrations in staffing, bond work, and our district goals.
First, we are welcoming 50 new staff members, 21 of whom are teachers.
Every staff member we add means more support for our students.
Please check out the summer bond work at Oakdale Heights Elementary, Whitworth Elementary, and Morrison, where new roofs have been completed.
Thank you for passing the bond measure.
It is the support of our strong community that allows us the privilege of taking care of our kids.
As we think about the focus for the coming year, our board has set the following five important goals:
• All students will obtain a high school diploma that is appropriate and meaningful as we align to The Promise of Oregon.
• Update the long-range facilities plan with future recommendations that include developing standards for facilities inclusive of future schools by June 2016.
• Continue to improve communication efforts with students and families and with the community.
• Continue to promote transparency with greater involvement of the budget review committee, district staff, and others in the allocation of resources to meet the mission of the district.
• Continue to focus on creating safe learning environments.
We will be reporting our progress on each of the goals throughout the school year.
As always, our focus is on the critical question, “Is it best for kids?”
I am thankful for our community of supportive and dedicated patrons, parents, and staff, and I look forward to working with you on behalf of our kids.
It is going to be a great year!
Michelle Johnstone, Ed.D.
Dallas School District No. 2